Evaluation

I have faced a lot of problems with this project, one huge benefactor to the somewhat unfinished video was time, or lack of should we say. I got to the last half an hour and had to export an unrefined video which was very disheartening as I had put a lot of time and effort into it and didn't manage to come out with a complete video.

 I planned from the start to have my left screen and right screen interact by the dots popping up in correspondence to the right screen but ran out of time to be able to match the footage with the animation. I also didn't manage to complete all of the animations which popped up in the footage which didn't give enough impact to the idea and context of the video. The process of creating the compositions of my pop-ups was more time consuming than anticipated as it took me about 3 hours to learn how to set up the compositions in after effects and then had to also learn how to make the pop ups integrate smoothly and well within the motion of the footage, another very time consuming process. One thing I have learnt from this project is that Adobe After Effects is not a user friendly software in any sense. Though this has not deterred me from wanting to learn more about the software and what I can achieve with it. I am happy with the animations which I created at the start of the video as they flow within the scenes and begin to show how I would have had the animations for the rest of the video.

Another thing I set out to achieve for the video was to create a surveillance styled footage to express that you are always being watched but ran out of time completely to even start the process of learning how to do this. I set out to have my audio for the video to be of diegetic noise from within the scene but stumbled upon many problems with this as each time I filmed the wind was incredibly relentless and ruined some of my audio and didn't have enough time or a model to reshoot for audio. I panicked at the end process as I was audio-less and found myself looking at royalty free music on YouTube. If I were to repeat this process I would have allowed myself time to be able to create the right audio for the piece. I shot most of my shots overexposed, mostly due to the freak hot sunny weather and the capabilities of my camera but wouldn't have been as much of an issue if I had the time to colour grade my footage as I had planned to.

I am happy with some of the footage I had captured as this is the first time I had ever filmed before and really tried to push my creative camera skills as much as I could and tried to apply some of the knowledge from the tutorials and workshops from the start of the year into my compositions and movements. I learnt that tracking shots are only really ever successful if the intention is to shoot very shaky footage or to correct this use a image stabilisation enabled camera or tracks. I tried to have a varied amount of shots combining different dynamic compositions such as low camera angles and high camera angles, wide shots and close up shots, static shots and panning motions as well as the tracking shot.

 I am happy that I managed to create a duel screen in premiere pro with the help from YouTube tutorials and easily managed to place my footage adjacent to the eye animation. I am also very proud of my earth zoom effect created in after effects, though it took a long time, the outcome was well worth the hassle (and stress) of creating as I feel as though it really tied in the idea of GPS tracking through satellites.

Overall, I am pleased that this project has come to and end as the planning and shooting aspect of the project was very new to me and even though I came across many kinks I managed to create a 5 minute video exploring the ideas of GPS tracking. I would like to finish this entirely in the summer when the pressure is off and be able to enjoy creating more.

Comments

Popular Posts