Found images repurposed portraits

The idea:

I decided for my re-imagined portrait that I wanted to use found images from newspapers. I chose some images from The Mirror and cut them out and tried to create new meaning from them. 


I found a small cartoon in the paper and liked the caption. I decided to cut clippings of Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn's heads to replace the cartoons as I wanted to show the idea of them being the "mother and father" figures of the country and how they are struggling with the failing NHS as the harsh winter has made an even bigger problem for them to "deal" with. 


It's common knowledge that Trump is an advocate for hunting and specifically scrutinised for trying to change a law which will allow elephant heads and other hunting "trophies" to be allowed to be imported to the US. I found an image of a golf pro and cut his hat and head off and replaced it with Trumps larger head. I also found an advert for an elephant safari and cut the image down and use the elephants head as the golf "ball". I used some red paper and created a grousome look as if the animal's head had been detached and cut crosses where the eyes would be to add more emphasis that the animal was dead and to add more of a dark humor to the image. 

Conclusion:

I found this experiment to be helpful at recreating new meaning by using older images. I personally do not think I would continue this idea for my portraits series however it has helped me with reimagining and creating meaning with something as simple as newspaper clippings. 

Comments

Popular Posts